Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Computer Woes

I had been fighting it for years, but I knew the time would finally come when we got a computer at home.
I mean, my son is 7 now and will need it for school soon. My husband is starting his own business and needs it for various reasons related to that (or more accurately, I need it to be able to do that variety of stuff for him, since his computer skills are serverely limited - more on that some other time).
So when the tax refund came this year, we did what a lot of people do and bought a new home computer. It arrived last Saturday and I already hate it.
Because I work all day helping people with computers, the last thing I want to do when I get home is more of the same. But I do. See the users I live with above and you'll be able to surmise that's exactly what I end up doing. And then my mother calls last night and asks me to "jump online" for her to send off a "quick" email. Because the computer is new, we haven't had our DSL service started yet, so I'm using dial up. So, nothing is "jumped" on and certainly nothing is "quick".
Hopefully, the faster service coming meams I won't spend as much time at home doing what I do at work. We'll see...

1 comment:

Kelley B said...

I'm fascinated that you've resisted having a home computer. But I can relate with spending all day around them or in front of them and having no desire to spend your evenings and weekends the same way. I find, much like I did in college and grad school with reading, that my computer work at work, feels entirely different than my 'fun computer time' at home. I remember having so much reading to do in college and grad school and most of my friends never read for leisure because of that. It just felt like a whole different animal to me and I feel that way now. Though I have days (many!) where I just want to DO something instead of read or write about things. That's when I have to bust out the glue, paper scraps, gardening tools or recipes and shut off the computer!